As the rental market continues to heat up I like to have my clients and customers prepared to make an offer when they see something that they really feel suits their rental needs. Sometimes having to wait a day or two (or three) can mean the difference in securing the rental of your dreams and starting the search all over again. I had a client that was in the process of moving and had all of his tax information in storage – the co-op he was hoping to rent required last year’s tax return and because he couldn’t get a copy in time he lost the unit.
By having these basic steps covered you are a ready, willing and able renter – exactly the kind landlords are looking for! If you have any questions, or if you have other tips to share please let me know!
7 Tips for a Stress Free Rental Experience
- Determine your budget – know exactly how much you can afford per month for your rent. Ask your realtor to provide all expenditures necessary to secure a rental property (security, application fees, broker’s fees, pet security, parking fees, etc.).
- Have your most recent credit report ready, there are free sites that provide scores from the top three credit agencies.
- Have your most recent pay stubs as well as your tax returns for the past year (depending on the landlord you may need one or both of these items).
- Have two references – ideally one personal and one professional. If you have a reference from a past or current landlord citing that you are a good tenant that is wonderful!
- Know what areas/locations you want to rent in – consider conveniences, commute, access to roadways. If you have seen listings that interest you share them with your realtor.
- Prepare two lists to share with your realtor – must have list and wish list. Realize that you may have to be flexible – but be clear with your realtor if something is non-negotiable.
- Make sure your realtor knows if you have a pet, if you need laundry facilities in the unit or in the building, if you are a smoker/non-smoker, if you need on-site parking. This information can help to prepare a list of considerations that best suit your needs.