Delicious coffee, chocolate and doing good – like its namesake this dessert is a true triple threat! This recipe takes the best of the creamy goodness of a traditional tiramisu and adds chocolate in a starring role. The combination of flavors truly sing and will have you and yours doing a dance of joy!
- 3 eggs separated
- Three tablespoons granulated sugar
- Three tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
- Three tablespoons Marsala wine
- 1 container Mascarpone cheese
- 60% Cacao bittersweet chocolate baking bar (I used Ghirardelli) chopped in a food processor
- 16 – 20 ladyfinger cookies
- 2 cups strong coffee ( Laughing Man’s Dukales’s Dream or Reserve Indonesia Flores work well, experiment with 184 or your favorite! )
1. In a double boiler whisk the egg yolks, granulated sugar and Marsala wine vigorously until it thickens into a white custard consistency. As soon as it thickens remove from heat as not to overcook*.
2. In a stand mixer at a high speed whisk the egg whites and confectioners’ sugar until stiff peaks begin to form.
3. In a large mixing bowl add the custard and ¾ of the chocolate to the mascarpone cheese, fold with a spatula by hand.
4. To the mascarpone mixture add the egg whites, fold with a spatula by hand.
5. Line 2 8” x 8” serving dishes or one large serving dish with ladyfinger cookies; add coffee to the cookies slowly allowing it to be absorbed, once the cookies are saturated stop.
6. Spread the mixture evenly over the cookies gently as not to break them.
7. Garnish the tiramisu with the remaining chocolate, refrigerate for at least two hours, overnight is best.
You can also make individual desserts in glasses or use the mixture as a cake or pastry filling.
To order Laughing Man products visit http://shop.livelaughingman.com/
*This egg custard is the base for Zabaglione. You can use it just like this or check out recipes that add cream, cinnamon, nutmeg, additional sugar, etc. This is delicious over fresh berries, even better over pound cake and fresh berries! Be creative!!