This is one of my family’s favorites – adults love it, kids love it and it can become your “go to” anytime you promise to bring a dish. The recipe is easily multiplied and is definitely not expensive to make. It also serves as the base for some other delicious dishes coming up!! (Hint – have you ever had Paglia e Fieno?)
Tortellini & Peas in Cream Sauce
2 lbs. cheese tortellini (tri color makes for great presentation)
8 0z. package frozen petitte peas
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (can use half and half to lighten it up, but perhaps this isn’t your light recipe to begin with!!)
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
(grated peccorino romano cheese to taste if you like)
fresh parsley for garnish
1. bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
2. melt butter in a sauce pan until foamy, add cream
3. stir the butter and cream mixture frequently with a wooden spoon
4. when the water comes to a boil add the tortellini and peas
5. season the butter and cream with salt and pepper to taste, add cheese here if desired
6. drain the pasta and peas when al dente (or longer to preference)
7. stir sauce into pasta and peas, taste and season again with salt and pepper if desired
That’s all there is to it! When plated or placed in a serving dish garnished with fresh parsley it looks great and tastes delicious!!
I have been a straight ally since 1965 when I met my friend Silvio. The words were different then, but the intent and cruelty were the same. Fortunately my friend had a strong sense of who he was even at a young age and a group of friends from school and our theatre group that provided support and I guess protection of a sort.
One of my best friends now is an example of what it is to be a good man – not qualified by straight or gay – but a good man. He too had strength of character to make it through.
For all who do not have that in their personal lives, let them know the world at large is and can be a kinder place than what they know. Then go out there every day and make it so.